Friday, October 14, 2011

Halloween Costume Part I

It is the lovely month of October which means we get to be a little extra creative and dress up and indulged into mounds of candy. Aside from all the weird creepy side to Halloween that some portray, I have always loved Halloween and dressing up and seeing others creative dress up ideas as well.
I especially love to make our costumes (go figure, since I like to make a lot of everything else :), so in my brain storming of what the lovely winner dress up idea will be for the year I also had to keep in close range of my creative skills, in that as much I'd like to be really great at making something from nothing, I am still really lacking.
OK, long story short, the lovely winner this year is "The Flintstone Family"! My little girl was actually the main inspiration for this idea because of her weird hair, she has really short hair everywhere except this really long chunk on top, which I put up in a little pony tail sometimes so she can still see, and well, you guessed, she looks like the little pebbles girl :)
How could this cuteness not be inspiration? I just love her!

So far I have finished her little outfit, and my husband's outfit, now I just need to get cracking on my costume and I am also daring to venture in making wigs for us too, yikes! We'll see how this one will turn out, I have never made a wig before, but I thought it would be fun to try since my husband's hair is dirty blond and mine is brown, which is defiantly not the hair colors of the Flintstones (and we didn't feel like dying or spraying our hair, which I guess could still be a last resort option if this doesn't work). Don't worry, I will be sure to post at how this one turns out.

Since I want to do a more grand-uous post of us fully in costume for the big day, I won't be sharing too much of costumes, so they will look more amazing in the end picture, but for the sake of showing you how I got it all together, I will show them to you and how I made them, but I won't show you with us all in full uniform, so it will look more lovely as we approach this lovely holiday. I know, I am silly, and weird, I don't need to be reminded of this.

OK, first things first, my little girl's outfit:
 I went to the local thrift store and found this bath robe that was in this lovely leopard print (don't worry, I washed it very well!), and I cut it to her size, made straps, and then made a jagged look the bottom, here she is making sure she'll fit it (and I will share the full affect pictures closer to Halloween, don't worry! :)
Since we practically live in the Arctic, we have to plan around REALLY cold weather, so I thought it would be fun to make her some little slippers to go with it, here is the cut outs before I sewed it all together.. . .

 Having it wrong side out, I have it pinned and ready to sew.. . .
 After sewing the sole of the slipper to the rest, I wanted to put elastic around the leg area, so i used a safety pin to loop it around, and then I sewed it up the back of the heel
 Trying it on to make sure it'll fit, it'll work like a charm!
 The finished booties. . . .
 My little girl is all set to go!
 Here is my husband's outfit. I also got his supplies at the local thrift store, I got two orange shirts that looked very similar in shade. Then I cut the arms and neck area off one and sewed it to the bottom of the other. Then I painted the black triangles on and then made jagged cuts on the sleeves and bottom (best part of this costume idea is there is no need for hemming!! Yeah! Which is one of my LEAST favorite things in sewing!)

Since this post is in the spirit of Halloween, I thought I would also share some more recent decorations I have made this week. I got this idea from my sister, Keri, on her creative blog HERE. I made some fun candle glowing jars, see how they turned out. . . .
 Before. . .


 After. . . I think I like how my sister's turned out better, she is a much better artist than I am, but I think they'll work, and here is the back of them. .. .

 I used apple sauce jars, since I have a bazillion just hanging around, we love our applesauce! I also liked the roundish look with these jars :)
 Remember the cute little pumpkins I made? Well we finally painted them with cute little faces, and believe it or not, but my hubby actually WANTED to help me with this one :) It was a fun date night!


Now that I have you looking this way, I want to also mention my brother-in-law's blog, The Forsaken Petal. He gives great insight for those of you who are into writing (and for someone like me, it is nice to get a refresher on different physcology sort of things, I think this blog is more for than just writers). He has a masters in Physcology, so he uses this wisdom as a twist to help you understand your characters as you write about them, pretty cool, huh? (or for me, it's nice to learn more about myself!) Well you should check it out, because it's pretty amazing, and to top it all off even more he is doing a giveaway, HERE, where if you win you could win some mula towards My Memories Suite, which looks like a really great online/printing scrap booking, and who doesn't love capturing memories in cute little books with WAY less work? So you should check it out and join the giveaway, and enjoy his blog while you are at it (and don't forget to mention me :D


Okay, now that I have jumbled ALL over the place with fall and Halloween and crafty sort of stuff, I will end here. Remember how I said I am gonna try to make wigs for our costumes? Well here is my start. From my lookings around online it suggests to use a beanie hat as the base, so I made some hats. . . now that I got your curiosity stirring there will be more update to how this will turn out so be sure to come back!

Thanks again for stopping by this way, and sorry for all the jumbled sharings, I guess jumbling is what I do best!

Until next time. . .

2 comments:

Pin It!