Friday, April 15, 2011

Books Part 1

I am not much of a reader, well for books at least, but I do read quit a bit of different things online. I want to change this, especially so I can be a better example for my little girl. But besides being a good example for her, I also want to be a good provider for her, for good books (in other areas aswell of course). In my experience with child development, children learn best by things that are realvant to them, and things become more relavant to them the more they can relate to them. For example if you teach a kid about the beautiful tropical Hawaii but you live in Alaska, it will be really hard for them to understand and make connections because there isn't really anything in Hawaii that would be realvant to them (unless you go on a nice vacation). Yes they could probally understand things about the tropics when they get older, but for when they are younger, things will be more meaningful to them when they can relate to them.

So long story short, I am making some books for my little girl. There is this great website, where you can order white, blank books for really cheap, and then make books however you want. I love this idea. I also love that this website has regular thin paper books, flip books, and especially board books (you know like the hard thinker ones that toddlers use so they can chew on and it'll still last a good while). This website also provides blank board games and blank puzzels.

The books I recently ordered
 I was introduced to this handy website from a class I took where we had to make a book for our future children that they could relate to (I'll show that book off when I get a chance to take pics of it). Now that I finally do have a little kiddo of my own I wanted to make some more books. So here are some that I have made, and I am sure I will order more in the future, and maybe if you are lucky I will do a little giveaway along with it, yes that's right, a giveaway! Now hold on to your horses, it might be a little while since I am still working on my current stash of books, but I plan on getting some more in the near future, and when I do, I will put in for getting a book, free for one of you out there (and you wouldn't have to be local), I will put more details on this when it comes around, so keep yours ears sharp and eyes peeled, cuz you could be a lucky winner!

Anyway, back to the books, here is what I have come up with so far. I have made one book on "Colors" and one on "Numbers" and I used pictures of things that she can relate to, so it will hopefully be a more meanful experience for her. And the best part is, she already LOVES looking at books, it makes me feel all so giddy and happy inside! So here is what I got so far:

I did this by laying out the numbers with different grains or foods that we eat often, took a pic and then printed them, here is lintels and black beans for 1 and 2

Red kidney beans and Wheat for 3 and 4

Rice and Pinto beans for 5 and 6

Spagetti noddles and Cherios for 7 and 8

Wheat Chex cearl and Raisens for 9 and 10

 For the "Color's" book I took pictures of things in the house that she would most likely see often that are in that color and put it in that catergory- things that she can "relate" to, like I mentioned earlier.




Anyway this is my new excitments, and I am super excited that she likes books. On another cool book note, she is now a part of the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, where she'll get a free book every month until she is age five, I am super excited to get lots of free books to add to our little library!

Until next time!....

6 comments:

  1. Awesome books. April made a cloth book for the kids once and it was really neat for the kids. Your daughter is sure to love and remember the books you make for her. It is so important to be an example for our kids as well. Great idea and post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to do some of these! Thanks for all of the creative ideas! So how exactly did you get the free books? That is so awesome! When I was in kindergarten, I was able to get books for cheap and it was so nice...I miss it! Anyways, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! With my random free time with her random naps I gotta do something :)
    I didnt get these books for free-just really cheap from the website i listed- but I am going to give out a free book soon, when I do my next order of books, I will add in an extra one that I will pay for but will give it free to someone in a giveaway based on entries and random selection. I will put more details on it when I do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are SO cute!! I want a blank book (with lines). My kids are always writing stories, I think it would encourage them if they had a book to write it in!
    How did you get Addie on the free books till she's five list? That is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your kids would love something like that especially with josh being an example for writing :) I got into the free books deal becuase I joined this thing "Parents as Teachers," they visit me once a month, give me stuff on how I can help Addie in her different areas of development and help me with any concerns. So when they gave me my first visit she asked if I would like to be signed up on this free book deal- and i said of course!! I get it as long as I still live in Madsion county, but i imagine other counties do it too- i am just not sure how to sign up another way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey whitney I just awarded you the stylish blogger award. Pick it up at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!