Friday, June 1, 2012

A frame Play Tent

So I saw This darling A-Frame tent from "Cakies" blog, on Pinterest one day, and knew I must try. So I finally did, and now I will share with you. But since I am horrible at step by step photos when I am making things, I will try to explain things from my already finished project. Or if all else fails with this, you should just go to the original blog I got the idea from, because they gave great step by step instructions.

 The original used a twin sheet, so they were able to find dowels that long, I didn't get that lucky, so I just hemmed my material to the length of the dowel across, then fit as long to fit on both sides.
 Maybe it worked great for the original post, but when I did this part, it didn't fit very tight, so we bought these little clip things to help hold the dowel and frames into place better. We got them at our local hardware store.

 Then the original post didn't add these as well, bu for more durable features, we thought we should add them. We just screwed dowels on the inside of the frames to give it more support. Then it also helped with making ties for the material, and could tie it down all the way across to hold it in place. I liked the ties more than the elastic like they did on the original post. But I am sure both would work great.
 Then one last feature, I sewed a loop at the top to run the dowel through to also hold it in place better.
It has worked like a charm and my little girl loves it! And the best  part is it fold away flat nicely for when we aren't using it.

Only small disclaimer for this project if you try it at home....it turned out to be a little more pricey than I thought this little project would be. The most expensive stuff was the molding that we used for the frame, just for that it was around $20, maybe we could have shopped around and found a better deal, but the lazy in me was content with what we found. Then if you have to buy material instead of using stuff you already have, then that can add up too. But maybe in the long run it will be worth it since I can see it being use for many years and many children to come!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!
Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I've been eyeing this project on Pinterest! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!