Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Curtains

I don't know about you, but I easily get sick of the regular plain windows, that just have blinds. To me there is nothing like a house that can be made to look more like a home by adding a touch of curtains!

Well since we are still in the "renting an apartment" stage of our lives I didn't want to get too carried away in screwing in curtain rods and doing things that might upset the landlords in the long run- so here is my really simple and also cheap curtain job that makes me smile and maybe some day my landlord too, cuz we didn't put any annoying holes in for this.
Here is the window in my little girls room.
And here is a little closer look. I just hemmed the edges, made a bigger loop hemmed edge on top, added some ties and there you go! Then for the top part I used patch squares that I have been using to make things match in her room better, sewed together enough squares to go across the length of the window, plus about two more feet, and then added the bottom layer (which is actually the top rim that I cut off of a twin sheet).

Now, as mentioned before I didn't have to buy any curtain rods or doing any annoying mounting of them either- so here is my special secret for doing it all:

Instead of using a curtain rod, I used a fake flower stem that was for an assortment of like 6-8 flowers and then just took off the flowers, (used them else where of course) made it straight, put the curtains on and then tapped them up on each end to give them a good hold!

Then for the  top layer I just used thumb tacks and pushed them in on the top side of the window's trim so that you can't see the tiny holes when I will some day take these down when we move. Because I made this extra longer than the window, it allowed me to give it a little more of a ruffled look as I pinned it up. 

Now here is a look at my lovely kitchen window, I put up these curtains in the same basic way as the other window:
Here I tapped up, again using flower stem things as the rod

and here I again pinned up the top part giving it a nice ruffled look! And the nice thing about having this shorter layer on top is it hides the ugly "flower stem rod" I randomly made and it really adds to making it more home-like!

Anyway-hope you have a wonderful curtain-home-like-friendly day!
Until next time....

3 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I made curtains for my office when I was working, and it was a lot of fun, but I just bought the curtains in my house (they were on sale and less work, and I am not as cool as you!)
    I love how you hung them without screwing into the wall!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Twist-and-Fit-Decorative-Curtain-Rod-Satin-Nickel/5700361
    I got this type of twist-and-fit rods in black (on clearance, even!!) that I used for a curtain in Shazer's room when he was a baby, but I have yet to use them in this place we live now. I still think of it as our "new" house even after living her for 6 months since we were at the last one for 3 years, lol! I really need to make some cute curtains for both the kids' rooms, or at least the livingroom or something... but these type of rods are great as long as your windows aren't too big. at our last place, it fit in the bedroom windows but the livingroom one was too wide. I haven't even tried the windows here, lol! they basically work like a shower rod but have little gripper teeth to hold them in place better.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!