Thursday, May 17, 2012

Smore Cake Pops!

In getting ready for my sister's wedding in June, I offered to make some cake pops as treats for the reception. So until then I have been putting in some practice on making the goods.

The first time I tried it the basic way where you make a cake, mash it and mix it with frosting and then form into balls. I am not going to lie, I wasn't very impressed with this way of making them, and for some reason the idea of doing it this way made the whole task seem overwhelming. Maybe I didn't pick a good cake recipe, or a good frosting recipe, or didn't pick good chocolate to coat it with it all, but I just didn't like how it all turned out, especially the taste. I think the mix of cake and frosting in the middle with chocolate on the outside made the whole bit almost overwhelming and way too rich for my liking. From this one experience many months ago it has taken me a long time to want to practice making them again...
Until I saw this beauty for only $15 at Walmart:

Sorry this pic is blurry, I got it right from the walmart website, I felt lazy and didn't want to take a pic of the actual one I bought, but it looks just like it though :)
 Getting this lovely thing for such a good deal, I couldn't resist giving the pops another practice round. So finding out that today was my neighbor's birthday, I thought it would be a perfect day for a new adventure.

Now even though this practice round is "Smore" flavored, I might not actually be making them like this for the wedding (unless she'd like them now after seeing them :) since I am going for Coral colored ones to match her colors for the wedding. But either way, I figured this round would be fun and new, and would at least give me the dipping practice for making them pretty and such.

I must saying getting this little machine was a great investment, and I am positive I will use it more than just her wedding. It was fast and easy, and I liked that I didn't have to mix the cake with frosting, making it too rich, but left it with a nice fluffy middle flavor. The only complaint so far is that they didn't turn out completely round when they were done, but that could have also been the recipe I tried, because it might not have had a chance to be fluffy enough to rise to the top mold. I will have to keep giving it a good practice. Especially since I actually enjoy eating these and will probably practice much more.
So long story short. I made "Smore" cake pops. I used THIS yellow cake recipe for the batter, although I halved the recipe (which I am glad I did, because even cut in half it made a lot). Then after making all the balls I put them in the freezer to get firm and easy to dip. Then from a suggestion from a friend I poked them with a fork instead of the sticks so that the ball wouldn't slide around like it did to me before, then gave it good dip in the melted chocolate. Before the chocolate got firm I sprinkled it with graham cracker crumbs and mini marsh mellows (that I cut into fourths). And Wall-ah! Yummy Smore cake pops! (and for this round I put them in mini cup cake liners, instead of on sticks, mostly because I am cheap and didn't want to use my sticks yet, I am saving them for the wedding. Plus the cup cake liners gave it an elegant chocolate sort of look, right? :)

And the best part of this whole process, was my husband asked me if I got this idea from pintirest. Ha ha, oh he knows me too well. But believe it or not, there are still SOME creative thoughts left in this universe and I did put the idea of it all together by myself...although I am sure there is a good chance someone out there still thought of the idea too. Either way they turned out yummy and I can't wait to try making more again!

Thanks for stopping by!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!