Friday, May 11, 2012

Oatmeal Muffins (gluten free and Diabetic friendly!)

A ways back I shared these lovely muffins, but these ones are a little different and are more on the breakfast sweet side. I found this lovely recipe on pintrest and had to give them a try.

I don't know what your mornings are like, but I am very out of it the first 2 hours or so after waking up, especially when waking up is entailed in the hours of 6-8 in the morning like it does for us. I am just not a morning person. So to try and give my husband a better breakfast than just cereal like what we've been doing for a while, I tried these muffins, and so far they are a great hit!

They came from this website. And the great idea of them is after you make them, you can throw them in the freezer, and thaw them out the night before eating them, and then add milk or water to them in the morning, throw them in the microwave for about 60 secs and now you have oatmeal for breakfast! And because you made them, you know exactly what is in them, compared to those pre-packed oatmeal things, and they don't take as long as making regular oatmeal from scratch.

 I followed the recipe exactly...except instead of adding nuts or chocolate chips on top, I added slices of fresh apples (we just really like apples in our oatmeal, so it seemed fitting!) And then instead of their alternative sweetener, I just used sugar, so I guess if you follow my way, it wouldn't entirely be diabetic friendly. So if you want to try it out, check the website Here. I am being lazy and didn't want to post the recipe, plus, they deserve all the credit anyway, and could use the real faithful viewing of people wanting to try their goodness out :)
Overall, we are great fans, especially me, because now I feel a little more better about not being a lazy wife and can give my family a change of scenery in the breakfast department without having to do too much extra work (especially when I out of it in the morning). To make sure the muffins didn't freeze together, I individually wrapped them in plastic wrap, and then popped them in a freezer safe container. Now when we want oatmeal, we just get them out the night before (and even if we didn't I am sure we could even microwave the morning of, and they'd still turn out!)

Then as a portion size heads up, we thought two would be a good amount to eat per person, but we could barely get them down, they are so filling! So I would say one is plenty for an adult and because they are so packed with goodness, you will be full for hours!

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by, hope you enjoy a lovely weekend ahead!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!