Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Much Late- Easter Skirt

I have been meaning to post this, but I just have had some many other goods I wanted to share I let myself get carried away, and now it is almost a month past Easter. Oh well, at least this little sewing project doesn't have to be something you can only make for Easter.
 So remember my cute little girl in her cute little Easter Dress? Well I made a skirt to match. I love this pattern/style of a skirt, it is so easy to make. Maybe I am getting a little carried away with this statement, but I think just about anyone could make it and you wouldn't need a pre-made pattern.
 Okay, so I kind of used this older skirt as a pattern (remember when I shared more on it HERE). But Even though you might not have a skirt like this to start with, I think any skirt would do.

The idea of this skirt is to make panels, or sections and them sew them together until you get a complete circle. So if you have a skirt that has a good length you'd want, use that as your guide, then fold it about four times, and in a triangle sort of shape (not exactly triangular, but at least make it so it is skinnier at top and a little bigger on bottom to give yourself a more flared look). The idea of using another skirt as your guide is to make sure you cut it the right length, if you think you can figure it out without the guide then you are all set.
 After cutting out the first panel, I cut out 5 more, and used the first cut as my guide for the rest, to make sure they were all the same size. If you do use one of your skirts, make sure to cut a little more extra on bottom to allow for seams.
 Sorry for the bunching on the side, my little girl was trying to "help" me. But here I have all the panels sewed together, making sure you sew right sides together. Then to complete the circle, you take one edge, line it up with the opposite edge, still have right sides together, so that the outside of the skirt will be inside of the circle. (I hope that makes sense) Then sew the last side making a complete circle, or your skirt complete.
 Then a little trick I noticed on pintrest, you can use the bottom of an old shirt as the top brim for a skirt. Which I think is a brilliant idea, because I HATE sewing in zippers. So here I cut the amount I wanted for the band.
 Made sure it fit well around my waist.
 Then pinned it to the top of the skirt, having right sides together. Then sewed it on.
 Then I had a little extra tulle from my girl's dress, so I add a little fluff on the bottom, but I don't normally add stuff to this kind of skirt, so if you make this, it's all in your own desires which way to go :)
 And wall-ah! The finished skirt, complete to match my little girl.
And now me already ready and wearing it. I was going to get a full on picture with me and my little girl together, but the day was just crazy and my husband was busy with church responsibilities, so it just never came together. But it was fun having a little matching buddy for the wonderful Easter Sunday.

Well that's all for now. I hope you have a wonderful day! And again sorry if I didn't explain this process better, let me know if you have questions!

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Have a girl to make matchy clothes with was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out beautifully! I'm such a chicken and think I need a pattern all the time. I bet I could pull this off. I love it!! I love that it matches, too! CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!