Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tuna Burgers!

Let me direct you to a new yummy favorite of ours.

 We like our meats every now and then, but after watching this video from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution:

I have had an extremely hard time wanting to buy let alone eat ground beef from the store (especially fast food), and well, we are just too cheap to buy nicer, safer meats straight from a butcher, plus I wouldn't know where to find one anyway. So for awhile we have been avoiding beef, but will occasionally still eat chicken.

Then one day, in a need for more flavor and recipes in our regular eating I came across this old recipe I got from a one night class, called "Dollar A Day Meals" we took a few years ago. They also have a website, which is where I will be copy and pasting their recipe (but the one I use is from the packet from the class, but the recipe is still one in the same). To check out the website for other meal ideas (because they all are amazing!) or read the actual recipe you can go HERE.

So back to our meat delema, I tried this recipe and it has entered our life as a new lifesaver in satisfying our meat craving (our "meaty" American culture has corrupted us :). We love a good burger, and it has been lonely and tasteless without them, so when we came across this, tweaked it a little, I think we have our new burger satisfactions. And even straight from my husband's mouth (who probably loves meat more than I do), said "I would be okay if we never bought beef again, those are so yummy, we should make them more often!"

So with that being said, try it if you like, or just read to enjoy, but here is the recipe and lovely pictures. And not to mention that it is probably a safer burger, I would imagine the calories are much lower, I personally haven't done the numbers, but I imagine they'd be pretty good!

Okay, on to the recipe, again, this is copy and pasted right from the recipe at Dollar A Day Website, and my add-ins are in purple, enjoy! (oh and a little side note, I usually double this recipe to feed both my husband and I, and my little girl will eat a little (she isn't a big eater), so based on your family size, you may also need to double or triple according to your own needs.

Crusty Tuna Patties
dollaradaymeals.com

(We just call them Tuna Burgers, but to each your own :)

1 can tuna, drained (can save liquid to make sauce; recipe below)
1 large egg
1 T. dry milk powder
1 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper (since we don't have lemon pepper, we do a dash or pepper and lemon juice, and still works pretty good)
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
half stalk celery, minced
3 T. minced onion
2 to 4 T. oil for cooking (I don't like cooking with a ton of oil, so I don't use this part, I will just cook them on my skillet with a little of cooking spray, and it still works great)

Mix tuna, egg, dry milk, oil, lemon pepper, garlic salt,  celery, onion.  Heat pan on medium;  add oil  for  cooking (again, we just spray it).  Form 8 small patties in hot oil using a spoon (We like to make the patties a little bigger, so they can be more like a burger for a sandwich, we usually make 4, two for each of us, after we've doubled the recipe, but again, to each your own, the size of the burgers don't really matter, it's the taste :).  Cook 4 minutes on each side.   Makes 2 to 3 servings.  Top with sauce if desired.

Sauce for tuna patties: drained tuna water + water to equal 1/2 cup; set aside. Mix in jar:  3 T. dry milk powder, 1 T. unbleached flour, 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper  Add water/tuna water mixture, put lid on jar and tighten; shake until smooth. Then pour into small sauce pan, heat to medium high,  stirring constantly until thick,  stir/cook for 1 minute.  Take off heat,  add up to 1/8 tsp. dill weed  and couple shakes garlic salt, stir.  Cover, let sit 2 minutes. (The sauce is a yummy addition, but it is still pretty good without it!)
©Janet Marie Huff/dollaradaymeals.com

 Here are two of the lovely things cooking on our skillet
 The completed pattie, we also added some lettuce tomato, and little slice of cheese, along with the regular bread to make it a complete burger! :)
 We also like to toast our bread for a little extra crunch!
And last but not least, here is the sauce we made, it makes a bunch, we only drizzled a little on the burger, it gave it a nice juicy flavor, but again, it is still pretty yummy without it.


So there you have it for this week! I hope you have a wonderful day and thank you for stopping by!

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to eat Tuna since I was pregnant with Tamar. I craved it then and apparently ate too much. It's good for you, but in small doses! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy my mom used to always make tuna something that this sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm not going to post anymore until you remove the human recognition thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!