Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cloth Diapers Part III

Sorry for the delay AGAIN on these, my Internet was out all day yesterday, so here I am today. But for this "We-flecting Wednesday" (even though it is Thursday) I thought I would do another little recap for you on how the diapering has been going, in case you were curious!

First things first, it is all going super swell! If you want to read my other recaps on the diapers, here's Cloth Diapers Part I and Cloth Diapers Part II. In the first one I introduced that we would be doing it even though my little girl wasn't born yet, and showed the ones that we bought from the Willow Store. The second part we had been doing it for a little while and was discussing how things were going for the first few months and now is a little recap of it all since then.

I tried making another diaper again.
I tried making another one before doing some research on making diapers, which I really should have done and would have probably made my life a lot easier. But I decided to use umbrella material as a sort of water proof layer. . . .
And then I lined it with a freezer zip lock bag in the middle, to make it more water proof. In my recap in Part II I tried making a diaper but I lined it with plastic wrap, and it didn't work for very long, so I thought this time a thicker layer of plastic would be better
Then I made some Velcro straps
And sewed on the front Velcro area
And sewed in the elastic in the legs and back
Then officially sewed in the zip lock plastic
To help keep the sewing from ripping the plastic, I put liquid stick on the seams to seal it better
And the finished product
I lined in the inside with a new cleaning rag, hoping that it would be a good absorbent layer
The finished product on my little girl. OK, now for the real truth.. . . this one didn't really turn out as great as I would have liked. It isn't very breathable, and it didn't really fit right, but overall it still serves as a nice back up diaper if I need something to hold me over while doing laundry, but overall, I need to do better research before I make another diaper.
In case you were wondering how we did the whole laundry situation, we put the dirty ones in here, we use our fancy toilet sprayer to clean the poopy ones and they all go in here. . .
See. . . just be glad you can't smell it in here, it is SUPER stinky. But we do laundry about every 2-3 days, sometimes sooner depending on how many buildups of poopy diapers we get.

Then. . . .in my discouragement of homemade diapers not going super well for me at the time, but needing a few extra we found these. . .

 We got these off EBay from this particular seller: HERE (hopefully this link works for you, if not, I just searched "U pick cloth diapers, and it had many different options available where you can pick 10 diapers with 10 inserts for about $40-50 and they have the buy it now options, which I greatly enjoy!), but there are so many different options there.
We got ten in all, with ten more inserts for about $50 with free shipping, yeah!
Here is a little more up close, it is adjustable by snaps instead of elastic like our other ones
The insert can go inside the diaper. . .
Or on top (which we tend to do most of the time, simply because it is easier and quicker
Then, since my little girl tends to wet more at night we double layer her inserts. We use one wool one and wrap it around a regular one
Like so. . .
And then we set it inside one of her willow store ones, since they are much more water proof than our new eBay ones and then we save the eBay ones for the day time.

With the new system of using the eBay ones during the day and the willow ones during the night, it has been going pretty well and it has really helped in having a manageable system and being able to be caught up on laundry each time. We still do disposable when we go to church or leave town, or if we know we will be out of the house longer than 3 hours, simply because I am still not sure how I would handle the mess outside of our house. But even with these few times, we haven't had to buy very many disposable diapers, it is a great feeling to not have to be completely dependant on them!

So there you have it, things are going well, and it is a venture I have not regretted getting into, even amongst all the mess it brings.

Now don't forget to join in on my "50th Venture Celebration Giveaway" where I will be giving away 15 free clips (with free shipping too, you don't have to be living here in Idaho to participate, just live in the USA, sorry if you don't) The last few days have been a little busy, but I do have at least one clip going so far, but I will share more on Monday, since this day will actually be my "50th Venture" and I thought it would be most fitting to share most of them on this day.. . But as a sneak peak, here is one that I have gotten done so far, and on Monday I will share at how easy it was to make. So come join the fun by going to the giveaway page and joining in, there are lots of ways to enter to win!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a great Thursday!

Until next time! . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!