Thursday, February 9, 2012

Radish Chips

I know it sounds kinda different, maybe even weird, but let me tell you...they are so yummy! Again, again and much again, I found this lovely gem of a recipe on pintrest, where else these days? When I saw it I knew that I must try it because we get many radishes on occasion from our bountiful basket load and I never know what to do with them, eventually leading them to their sad gloom being tossed in the trash because they end up going bad. But thanks to this recipe, we will never have another radish go bad in this house, at least not if I have anything to say about it!

So here is my lovely pictures. . .
 This is the pre-cooking stage
And the lovely treats all finished. Now my little disclaimer, I know they don't look that pretty, or maybe even that tasty looking, I blame my not so great photo skills, my dying camera, and the fact that I never can make something look just like the original, if you want to see the other dude's beautiful chips go Here, and ooo and awe at how yummy they look, and then try the recipe and actually indulge in the yummyiness...
http://memebase.com/2011/07/18/memes-cookie-monster-cupcakes/
I think of this picture just about EVERY time I make something (and feel so giddy inside too while thinking of it), I just "Nail" things really good :)

Okay, okay, now on to the recipe. I copied and pasted the exact directions I got from the original "Simple Food Comfort" and then of course I changed things around (I just can't help it), so those will be in purple.

Radish Chips
  • Approximately 20 radishes, cleaned and ends trimmed (we definitely don't get this many, we usually do about 5, mostly because that's how many we get for bountiful)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil (we do much less again, because we didn't have 20 radishes, so we did about 1/2 tsp)
  • 1 tsp curry powder (we didn't have this, so we didn't use it :)
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric powder (again, we didn't have this, we just don't own very many extravagant spices :)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp paprika (again, another we didn't use)
  • generous pinch of salt
  • pinch of cracked black pepper
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In the meantime slice your radishes approximately a 1/4 inch thick, adding them to a microwave safe bowl. When you are done slicing, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the microwave for about 40 seconds to soften them up.
Remove the plastic wrap, drain any liquid, and add them to a larger bowl. (we didn't really have much liquid in the bowl when we did this the first time, so our second time we didn't do this part and it still worked just fine)
Add the olive oil, and seasonings. Mix well to coat all of the radishes.
To a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add the sliced radishes. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, then take out and flip, reduce the heat to 225 and cook for another 20 minutes.
Keep an eye on them and check the texture. You will notice they will begin to shrink in size and crisp up. This is what you need. Remove from the oven, plate and serve. (The original mentions that they are nice and crispy like chips, but due to our old ghetto oven, it would either burn them or put out early when they were still a little chewy, but they still tasted yummy even though chewy).

So there you have it! A new yummy addition that will make you mouth water (maybe)!

Hope you have a wonderful new day with lots of happy feelings and maybe some yummy radishes in your tummy :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never really liked radishes, but next time I accidentally buy one, I'll try this out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, and I LOVE that cookie monster cupcake picture. That's how I "nail" things too!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!