Monday, December 5, 2011

DIY Pillow Pet!

For my little girl's early birthday celebration, I graced her with the presence of a new little friend. A pillow pet! Every time we go to the store and pass by the mounds of those things in their little pillow pet cages, she gets all excited and will many times laugh at them. Yes, I could of easily just given in then and bought her one, but if you know me, that wouldn't entirely cut it. It only gave me a challenge, to make one instead, specially and lovingly crafted just for her. So here is her pillow pet story.
 My little girl LOVES anything and everything that is soft and fluffy, so this teddy bear, that we already owned became the initial inspiration, or more like the victim of my little venture.
 I found this decor pillow at the local thrift store for $1, and used the stuffing, then I used my seam ripper and gutted the little guy, through and through. . . .
 With everything taken apart, I laid the pieces out on a smaller pillow to get an idea of how big I wanted this thing to turn out. I also cut some of the shapes to be more square and sew-able, and pieced them all together. I also kept the head intact, since I figured it would still need a nice head to still look like a nice little pet.

After sewing all the pieces together for the back, I used the back as a guide to cut out a tummy front area. I used some soft flannel yellow material that I happened to have, and made the same shape. Then having a decent amount of fluffy left after the gutting, I gave the bear a nice fluffy tummy and paws, and was able to give a nice little tail too. After I sewed all these pieces on the flannel I sewed the front and back together (but wrong side out and left a hole on the side so I could still stuff it). . .
 I also used the yellow flannel to make a little strap to Velcro in the tummy to make it in the "pet" position, and take the strap off the Velcro and it becomes the pillow. . .

 All done and sewed and stuffed, here is the back of the pet. ..
 Then the front of the pet. . .
Now he's a pillow! And to top it all off, my little girl LOVES it! Can't beat that, when your kids actually enjoy the fruits of all your labors!


On side, yet also similar notes. You might not believe it, but I have finally found my way into Pinterest. I have been on the site before just to briefly scan the main page, but was actually somewhat afraid to actually have an account in the fears that I would be stuck there looking at all the amazingness there for all of eternity.. . which I actually did quit a bit of the first day or two of being official. But overall I am glad I joined because there really are such neat and amazing inspiring ideas there, and I can't wait to try a lot of them out (which I have actually tried many so far, so don't worry, I will post more soon!)

So, long story short, in my many lacking abilities to understand things in the technological realm, I am slowly but surely going to try to learn how to connect to my Pinterest account to here aswell, so if you ever find some of these stuff fun and actually shareable, you can do so there too! So be patient with me, I will try to figure this stuff out! (thus the reasons for me making this fun little collage for you at the end, maybe one of these days I can figure out how to make it "pin-able" on there).

And one last final fun note, I also give great thanks to Pinterest for helping me figure out a LONG LONG time curiosty of what "DIY" means. Yes, yes, I know, you'd think I would have figured it out by now, cuz quit simply it is all over the internet, but this crazy accronim generation just picks up and makes new ones all the time, and I am really good a laggering behind. So, long story again, (I guess tonight is a story night). . .I thought it would be fun to put my own little "DIY" on my collage, cuz it is so fun to me to finally know what it means!

In case you have long been lost in this curiousty like me, it means "Do It Yourself!"

Okay, enough for the chitter chatter, thanks again for stopping by, I really appreciate all the visits this ways, it makes me feel all happy inside! And it is also your lucky week, cuz so far I plan on stopping by at least two more times. Yep, that's right, two more! I have some much Christmas stuff going up our sleves I thought I would share them all in case you'd want to try any of them before this wonderful season is over, and it is also a "Sun-Up Saturday" week, where I get to share with you my random and hopefully inspiring thoughts! So don't go too far, cuz I'll be around!

Thanks again for coming by! Until next time!

1 comment:

Pin It!