Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mirror Frosting

In today's "We-flecting Wednesday" I thought I would share a little treat that relates to my wonderful Hubby and I (in a fun honoring of our 2 Year Anniversary this weekend). I made him this mirror as a gift back when we were still engaged.

Sorry if it is hard to see the image well, but it is some mountians with a storm on the side and leading to the top of the mountain is an LDS temple
In case you are curious, the inspiration I got for the design for this mirror is from the following little story. It was from a Devotional given at Brigham Young University-Idaho on Janurary 13, 2009 by President Kim B. Clark. In praying and deciding of whether or not I should marry Michael, this talk keep coming to mind and is what ultimately gave me the peace and assurance that I should marry him. So from this inspiration I made the mirror for Michael, and it is a nice reminder in our home that when times are tough, if we look to the right "mirror" things will always work out. Ok, so now to the part of the talk that I am refering to, so you won't be as confused to what I am talking about. The part of the talk that stuck out to me is this: (if you want to read the rest fo the talk, you can read it HERE)

"We may experience a thousand different things that rob our minds of peace. At their root, however, is a gap between what we want our lives to be and what we are afraid is going to happen. Consider, for example, the parable of the two mirrors:
 
The King of the land sent one of his sons and one of his daughters off on an important journey to establish peace in the land.
 
prince and princess
 
The brother and sister set off and followed the King's directions carefully. Then, unexpectedly, there arose a great storm. The wind blew, the rain was heavy, and swirling debris obscured the path. The son and daughter took refuge in a small hut. In the hut were two mirrors beckoning for their attention and focus. Each mirror showed them a vision of the future with them in the picture.
 
The first mirror was full of darkness and swirling fog. The son and daughter saw themselves in despair, lost, hungry and cold, unable to complete the journey. The mirror seemed to whisper, "Turn back; it's hopeless; give up."
 
looking into a mirror of a storm
 
The second mirror was bright and clear. They could see the storm, but they saw themselves making their way through it, completing their journey and establishing peace.
 
looking into mirror of peace
 
The second mirror seemed to whisper, "Carry on; walk in the light; the way is sure; you can do it." They chose the second mirror, left the hut with confidence, fought their way through the storm, and completed their journey.
 
You and I are often like the son and daughter. We keep the commandments and make progress in our journey of peace. But we encounter storms of life that bring uncertainty, anxiety, and stress.
 
stormy mirror of fear
  
When the storms come, the same two mirrors beckon for our attention. The first mirror is the mirror of fear; its perspective is the fallen world. When we look into the mirror of fear, we see a future that is dark and unhappy, full of failure, self-doubt, and even despair. The mirror of fear is the mirror of the adversary who whispers, "Things are going to be bad. It's not going to work. It's all your fault. You're not going to make it. Give up."
 
peaceful mirro of hope and faith
 
The second mirror is the mirror of hope and faith. It is the mirror of Christ; its perspective is eternal. In that mirror we see ourselves as beloved, valiant spirit children of Heavenly Father, here on earth to gain the experiences of mortality and to learn to be obedient and faithful. The Spirit whispers that the Savior, who has all power over all things, loves us and will help us through anything that happens. If we look into the mirror of Christ, trust in Him and in His timing, we will face our storms with hope and stop the cascade of fear.
 
This is what the Savior meant when He said,
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.16"
So there is the little story behind the mirror I made. I love this story, it is such a great reminder how important it is to have a good perspective with everything we experience in life.

Then if you are curious to how I made the mirror it's your lucky day, becasue I will tell you. I smiply bought the mirror I wanted to use. Then I put contact paper over the entire mirror. Then I traced out the design I wanted to be etched on and then using an exacto knife I cut the contact paper but left the opposite of my design on the mirror.
Then I used this lovely stuff. I used a paint brush and put it on over the mirror on the areas that were exposed still. I let it set for I think 3 mins (but is says on the instructions how long), and then washed it off giving the mirror the lovely look that it has. The longest part was etching the design into the contact paper. Oh and beware if you try this at home, this frosting mirror stuff stinks really bad- like a really bad case of rotton eggs, just a little warning.

So there you have it, this lovely Wednesday. I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day and don't forget to join the giveaway (I will be giving away 15 alligator clips), it will end tomorrow at Midnight and I will announce the winner for my "fun find" on Friday!
You can enter the giveaway HERE.

Thanks! And Until next time!. . . .

2 comments:

  1. I remember that devotional! I also remember when you made that mirror. I didn't know the two went together! But that is wonderful how it came to be. I will have to try that some time :) Thanks for the instructions. I remember you explained them to me a couple years ago, but I had forgotten so I am glad you posted this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty cool story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!