Monday, April 25, 2011

Home Made Rice Cearl

My little girl just turned 4 months a week and a day ago! She is getting to be so big and I love it! I have been trying to read the signs of "if your baby is ready for solids yet" and I am probably more ancy about trying her on solids than she is (she probably has no idea what solids are all about). I have heard the general recommendation for feeding solids is at least 4 months. And well since she has hit that mark is has been EXTREMELY hard for me to be patient in wanting to feed her something besides the normal milk. I know I am only asking for it, cuz the minute I start I will be entering into a realm of crazy messes and very interesting times. I know, I know, I have thought that through and I am OK with it- I could have a little more color in my life! So I waited a whole WHOPPIN week after her 4 month mark before trying to give her some solids, and well I don't think she is quite ready, she didn't seem that interested, so I will give it a few more weeks :( sad day- oh well, at least it will give me more time to prepare myself for the doom of messes to come.

So long story short- the solids I gave her were not your typical commercial baby food, it was homemade! I got my recipe and ideas from this great website HERE, Wholesome Baby foods. I LOVE this website because of all the great ideas and the awakening it has given me that I don't have to give into the commerical baby food ways and I can make my own and they will be just as healthy (if not more) and not to mention it will be lots cheaper because it will be of foods that we already have and already eat!

For her first official round of solids food we did the RICE CEARL. We had rice with our normal dinner anyway, so I cooked a little more than the normal suggestion and then pulled out a portion to puree for my little girl.
The lovely rice, all cooked and ready!

Her portion that we made separate, I used our handy hand-blender to make it nice and mushy for eating ( a regular blender would work just fine too)
After making the rice all nice and mushy I added some breast milk that I pumped (sorry if that grosses you out) to make it more liquidy and easier for her to take in. I am sure formula and water could be added as well if you don't have breast milk and it would be just as effective.

Since she didn't eat a ton I put the remaining rice into our ice cube tray so we can try it again later and not have to waste all that hard work (both the rice cooking and my pumping- it is not easy making milk :)
I am rather very excited for when she will be REALLY ready for this rather than me trying to force her to be ready. I am excited to experiment with all sorts of variety of different homemade baby foods! Again, I know I am asking for one heck of a ride in messing eating but with a face like this....

I think it will be worth it! :)

Until next time!!.....

P.S.
For this first feeding she sat on my lap for it...ya it was all over me too, as you might have guessed :) This is what I want to get for her future and more daily consistent feeding:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Reclining-Feeding-Seat/14254250
It can be reclined back or sit up straight to accommodate to different levels of being able to sit for your little guy, and not to mention it is a booster seat- which I personally think is a great way to go because it can save on room- especially since they are just using another seat at the table and then use it when they are a toddler too- I am secretly and well not so secretly nudging/pushing to get it soon- i think it will be for great fun ahead! :)
OK, for real...until next time!....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy Whitney :) i love your adventures keep up the hard work. I'm cheering for you. BTW I'll have to tell you something funny next time we talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe she's that old already!!
    You are awesome!! One way to keep things less messy is to put the cereal in a bottle. I would cut the nipple so that the opening was large enough to accommodate the cereal. And you have to add more liquid than spoon feeding...but it's a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!