Thursday, March 31, 2011

Window Seat Bench

We have had this coffee table for a while, and I actually have some sentimental closeness to it because my mother gave it to me. We don't really use it, and it actually gets in the way a lot of the time, but I wasn't ready to let it go because of its sentimental nature, so I changed it up a little and made myself a window seat!

I love windows, I love natural lighting, and I love that this apartment has such big spacious windows to let it all in! Well what a more better place to put a window seat than right in front of this huge lovely windows. It is my alternative for not have a real window seat (ya know like those cool ones that actually indent and even more when they have the cool little cupboard type thing below the cushion- now those are neat, and I really want one in my dream house some day!- but until then, this is what I got) 
So here is the lovely coffee table, it isn't bad, it just needs a change. It worked great for this little project because it is oak, so it is strong and hefty, fully capable to seat people on it

This little project only cost me $15, for what it cost to get the padding. This was a twin size mattress foam, I found it was cheaper to buy the bed foam, than to buy the actually bench/pillow foam from the craft department

I laid it out and cut it to fit- I also added a little of my own extra cotton for a little more padding, especially around sharper edges

With the assistant of my lovely strong husband and staple gun we stapled on this simple tan material. This was the little set-up I had for a few days...but it needed something, and the green legs needed to go, they just don't match the rest of the furniture (and I like Matchy-matchy!)

So I recovered the blue pillows (i had two, even though only one was shown above), so they will be matchy matchy, and then I had some extra foam an made me some round arm like pillows

Getting rid of the green, it is just too bright for my taste :)
The green has been toned down and the pillows are set. With the brilliant suggestion from my husband, I made straps for the arm pillows to help them hold in place, as seen below

I made these cute little flower deal-os with button holes on them so they could be attached, and then I put straps on to tie around. Because they are just buttoned on, I can take them off if I feel like they don't really go

Wall-a! A new little seat to add to our home! I can't decide how I like the pillow arrangements- but I guess that is what great about pillows, is they aren't permanent and they change around as quickly as my fickle mind :)

Hope you enjoyed! I had lots of fun with this one! Thanks for visiting this way and I hope you have a happy-full-of-natural-lighting sort of day!

Until next time....

4 comments:

  1. That is so amazingly cute! I love it!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO cute!! I've been wanting to add padding to my bench in the front room...but like you said the craft store foam is pricey!! I think I'll look into that foam! But seriously, I love the arm cushions. Nicely done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job Whit. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat! Wow you are very talented !!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!